Total time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Sweet Tart Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- To make sweet tart crust: In medium bowl, stir flour, walnuts and powdered sugar. Stir in butter and egg. Using fork, stir well until soft dough forms. Gather into ball and wrap tightly.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and coat 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay pastry dough on lightly floured board and roll into 11-inch circle. Press dough into bottom and sides of prepared pan and poke with fork on bottom and sides. Bake 20 minutes.
- To make filling: In medium bowl, whisk pumpkin and cream cheese until smooth. Add brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk, beating until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared crust and top with walnuts. Bake 40 minutes, or until filling is set when pan is gently tapped.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve each slice with dollop of whipped cream, if desired.