Yield: 2 rolls (16 pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 sheets nori
- 4 cups sushi rice
- 4 ounces finely shredded spicy beef jerky
- 16 cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 cup slivered radishes
- 64 tortilla strips
- queso fresco crumbles
- pico de gallo
- To make hand vinegar: In small bowl, stir water and rice vinegar.
- To make maki: Lay sushi mat on clean surface. Moisten hands with hand vinegar and shake off excess. Place one nori sheet on mat, shiny-side down. Spread 2 cups rice across nori, leaving 1 inch empty at farthest end.
- Lay 2 ounces jerky, 8 cilantro sprigs and 1/4 cup radishes crosswise along rice, covering half the surface closest to you.
- Securing jerky, cilantro and radishes with fingers, use thumbs to push end of mat up and over filling until edge of nori meets rice on opposite side. Press firmly on roll.
- Lift top of mat and roll firmly until tight and round. Squeeze gently to shape roll. Press ends in carefully to secure loose rice. Remove mat and set roll aside.
- Repeat to make second roll.
- Use thin, sharp knife to cut each roll into eight slices. Arrange on sushi platter. Stand four tortilla strips upright in center of each roll then sprinkle with queso fresco. Serve with pico de gallo.