Yield: 6 calzones
- 2-2 1/4 cups Pillsbury Best All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water (120-130 F)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Jimmy Dean Fresh Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups sliced bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Wisconsin provolone cheese
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- To make dough: In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, cornmeal, undissolved yeast and salt. Stir water and oil into flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- To make Sausage-Pepper Filling: In skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool. Stir in cheeses.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces; roll each into 8-inch circle. Place about 1 cup Sausage-Pepper Filling on one half of each circle; moisten edges.
- Fold dough over filling; press with tines of fork to seal. Place on greased baking sheet. With sharp knife, make three 1-inch slits across top of each calzone. Brush top with olive oil. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until done. Serve warm.