Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 6 hours
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean, scraped)
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- To make meringue nests: Preheat oven to 200 F. On parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread sugar evenly and bake 5-7 minutes to slightly heat. Remove sugar from oven then increase oven temperature to 225 F.
- Carefully separate egg whites from yolks completely. In bowl of hand or stand mixer fitted with whip attachment, whisk egg whites on medium-low speed until foamy about 1 minute.
- Slowly add sugar 2-3 tablespoons at a time and mix on medium speed 2 minutes between each addition. Sugar needs completely mixed into egg whites to ensure success. Continue mixing on medium until mixed through and meringue does not feel gritty.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Increase to high speed and beat until stiff peaks form.
- On two parchment paper-lined baking sheets, pipe or spread meringue with spoon into six 4-inch circular “nests.”
- Bake 1 hour, 15 minutes then turn off oven and let meringues cool without opening oven for at least 4 hours or overnight. The USDA recommends egg dishes be cooked to 160 F.
- To make garnish: When ready to serve, in clean mixing bowl fitted with whip attachment, whip heavy whipping cream on medium speed. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. Continue mixing on high speed 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Dollop whipped cream on meringue nests and top with sliced strawberries.