Prep time: 15 minutes
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano, finely crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 Hass avocado, diced
- 4 bolillos (6 inches) or large Kaiser rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 can (16 ounces) seasoned low-fat refried black beans
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine tomatoes; onion; garlic; peppers; cilantro; lime juice; oregano; salt, if desired; pepper; and avocado; set aside.
- On medium platter, split rolls. With medium spatula, spread refried beans onto each bread half; sprinkle cheese among bread.
- Bake 5-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and hot.