Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk (2 percent or skim)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (not fat-free)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 8 rosemary sprigs
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Drain beets well. Chop coarsely; set aside on paper towels.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk, oil and egg. Stir in onion, rosemary and garlic. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Stir to combine. Gently stir in feta and walnuts, just until combined, then add beets and stir gently to combine.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough three to four times to smooth. Pat into 9-inch round on ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 8 triangles; do not separate. Lightly press rosemary sprigs into each scone.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until light golden-brown. Cool on baking sheet; set on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.